HMSA Kaimana Awards & Scholarship Program
The HMSA Kaimana Awards & Scholarship Program honors high school seniors and their schools for excellence in academics, athletics, community service, healthy activities, and sportsmanship.
HMSA Kaimana Scholarships
For student athletes, the HMSA Kaimana Scholarships reward those who not only shine in the classroom and the playing field, but also in their communities through volunteer work. Recipients can use their scholarships to pay for college tuition, books, computers, and room and board. Scholarship use is subject to National Collegiate Athletic Association rules and regulations for those who participate in collegiate sports.
Eligible students must:
- Graduate from a Hawaii high school in 2023.
- Have a 2.75 or higher GPA verified by a school transcript that is submitted by a school faculty member.
- Have participated in at least one HHSAA league-sanctioned sport during one or more of their high school years.
- Have participated in community service projects in addition to school activities during their high school years.
- Write a personal statement and an essay about community and well-being.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from school faculty, mentors, or coaches.
HMSA will award up to 15 students $5,000 scholarships each. Applications are due Friday, Feb. 24, 2023, at 4 p.m. To apply, click here
How to submit your Kaimana Scholarship application
Applications are available online only.
You’ll need to:
- Go to the online application
- Create an account.
- Complete the application.
- Request letters of recommendation and your official transcript through the online application service.
- Upload supporting documents including your personal statement and essay.
When submitting your documents, keep the following in mind:
- Be sure that the supporting documents, photos, emails, or other files you submit are less than 10MB each. Our software will reject anything larger.
- Don’t include sensitive information like your Social Security number. If this kind of information appears on any documents, please black it out.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
HMSA Kaimana Awards for High Schools
These awards recognize Hawaii high schools for all-around excellence in five categories. Schools compete in their own league and earn points in:
- Community service
- Healthy activities
All public and independent HHSAA schools are eligible to win HMSA Kaimana Awards. Winners are awarded in each of the five leagues:
- Big Island Interscholastic Federation
- Interscholastic League of Honolulu
- Kauai Interscholastic Federation
- Maui Interscholastic League
- Oahu Interscholastic Association
School points are due Friday, April 28, 2023.