Honolulu Civil Beat , United States, Remote, Full-time
Join the operations team at Honolulu Civil Beat! We’re hiring a Newsletter Editor to write and oversee our newsroom’s email products!
About the job
The Newsletter Editor is a full-time position that functions as a member of the Operations team and is tasked with overseeing Civil Beat’s email products, which are designed to make our journalism more accessible to a growing audience.
This position reports to the Vice President of Operations and Philanthropy.
Our daily newsletter, The Morning Beat, introduces the day’s stories with crafted written summaries, and serves as our most effective way to communicate directly with readers, cultivate donors and promote events. The Morning Beat, along with several other weekly and monthly email news products, serves a growing list of 41,000 subscribers.
We are looking for an effective writer with a keen local news sense who understands the art and strategy of email messaging and list building. We need someone to take strong ownership of and pride in our email products and buy-in to an audience strategy that prioritizes depth and trust over reach.
- Writing Civil Beat’s daily newsletter, the Morning Beat, crafting story summaries and curating additional content to drive reader engagement.
- Building weekly and monthly newsletters that highlight major investigative projects, environmental news and neighbor island reporting.
- Developing additional newsletters targeting specific audiences.
- Managing the technical aspects of email newsletters, including optimizing drip campaigns, conditional messaging and list segmentation.
- Working with the VP of Operations and Philanthropy to develop and execute reader cultivation and list building strategies.
- Working with the operations team on fundraising campaigns, event promotion, and audience development.
- 2-4 years of relevant experience.
- Clean news writing and self-editing skills.
- Availability to consistently work a late-morning to mid-evening schedule to accommodate newsroom deadlines (unless working remotely from a different time zone).
- Ability to produce content in Mailchimp or other email publishing system.
- Familiarity with navigating a news content management system.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and handling multiple tasks.
- Solid understanding of local news media and nonprofit journalism.
- Experience working in Hawaii, or having a connection to the state.
We are willing to consider great candidates who may not have every skill on our checklist.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary that includes the following:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) matching
- 30 days of paid time off each year
- Up to 12 weeks of paid family leave (including PTO)
- Remote working flexibility
- Annual travel stipend to attend professional training and conferences
Honolulu Civil Beat is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and encourages people from underrepresented communities to apply.
Location: Our newsroom is located in Hawaii on the island of Oahu, but we will consider remote candidates who live in the United States.
How to Apply: Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Friday, December 24. We will review submissions on a rolling basis and will continue accepting new applicants until the position is filled.
About Civil Beat:
Honolulu Civil Beat is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt news organization dedicated to cultivating an informed body of citizens, all striving to make Hawaii a better place to live. We achieve this through investigative and watchdog journalism, in-depth enterprise reporting, analysis and commentary that gives readers a broad view on issues of importance to our community.